Sunday, March 24, 2013

It's a Small World After All

I've just started reading A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. If you haven't read it, I suggest you do. From the first pages, it's mind blowing, enlightening, and entertaining all at the same time. Bryson's metaphors for how the universe came to be are profound and put into perspective how massive our universe is and in comparison how small our planet is. In the past year, I've had two experiences that further support the age old expression of "it's a small world we live in".

A) Just last week, I ventured to the next town over with some other foreigners to try a new restaurant. I was at a table with six people, only two of whom I knew. I eventually got to talking to a girl at the other end of the table and found out she had lived in the U.S for most of her childhood. After a series of questions, I found out that she lived in Pennsylvania. Not only Pennsylvania, but Philadelphia! Where in Philadelphia? Well, a nice suburban area called Bucks County. In the words of my mother, or Aunt Jill, or someone along those lines: "well slap my ass and call me Judy". This girl lived in Doylestown! For those of you who aren't familiar with suburban Philadelphia (which I'm pretty sure that all 5 people who read this blog are), Doylestown is maybe 25 minutes from where I grew up! SMALL WORLD!

The next story is much cooler, I promise.

B) In December 2012, I secured a job teaching English with Maximo Nivel in Cusco, Peru. My "mentor teacher", or the guy whose class I taught for my practical teaching week, ended up having two rooms available just as my friend Maggie and I were looking for a place to live. We moved in just after Christmas. The guy who had lived in the room before me, Pat (who I never met), was also from Philadelphia. I found this to be a cool coincidence at the time. Fast forward to Summer 2012. One of the girls who lived in the Cusco apartment with me was living in New York at the time, but was spending a weekend in Philly visiting Pat, so I decided to go for a visit. I was given his address and my immediate thought was "no way". Pat lived in Yardley, the town next to where I grew up. I immediately put his address in Google Maps and was blown away at what I saw. Pat and I, who at different times lived in the same exact bedroom in Cusco, grew up one mile away from each other. One mile, and our paths took us to the exact same spot with the exact same people in Cusco, Peru. SMALL. WORLD.

Anyway, school is school. I had two very long days last week. We sent one of our kindergarten teachers for training so I had to fill in. That means I taught kindergarten from 9:40-12:40 and then elementary from 1:30-7:10. I was exhausted after ONE kindergarten class. I gained a whole new respect for mothers and teachers everywhere. I also told my own mother that I questioned ever having kids because 18 years of that would just be eternally exhausting and she replied with: "18 years? I'm going on 25 and 29". Well played, Mom. Well played. Despite being exhausted, I did have fun and discovered a new favorite student! His name is John, and he is precious. He declared himself my helper, and I declared him the cutest child on the planet.

Killing me in that sweatshirt

Two of my other favorites

Some of the kiddos I had the pleasure of teaching last week

In other news, I've been waking up at 7am everyday to go to the gym and have started a new clean eating regimen. This probably sounds awful to most people, but for me it means I get to play with new recipes, my oven, and my blender. Today, for example, I made my first green smoothie in months! It was refreshing, delicious, and nutritious. I also made BUFFALO CHICKEN QUINOA SALAD. There's nothing unhealthy or unclean about it and it's ah-maaazzeee-ing.

Apple, ginger, cucumber & spinach!

YUM


No comments:

Post a Comment